Sunday, December 2, 2007

Project: Site Specific/Installation/Intervention

Project: Project must be site specific, meaning that it's location is relevant to the content of your project. Think of site, installation, and performance aspects including time, space, the body, and the role of the audience.

My Project: I took the Adbusters magazine as an inspiration, and created a magazine focused on pharmaceuticals. My goal was to use pharmaceutical ads to collage on and mock. I also included relevant articles and statistics. The project began with my thoughts on site. I did a investigation of a waiting room and all it's various parts. (eg: receptionists desk, chairs, magazine rack). I then thought about the idea of being in places for reasons. The only time you are in a waiting room is for a purpose, the feeling of being there with no purpose is very odd. I wanted to do a piece of work that could fit into the waiting room and make people question the reason for being there. Along with my magazine a created manifesto based of the article In the Making: Creative Options for the Contemporary Artist by David Weintraub.

The Documentation:





















Contemporary Artist in the Making Manifesto

“Some artworks pass on without effect, while others produce a temporary deviation from a norm, and a few cause irreversible mutations in the DNA of an entire culture. Art can have profound consequence.”

My mission…

Awareness. I want people to open their eyes. Notice the overlooked, face the difficult issues, and take pleasure in the simple things. I want to expose issues people choose to ignore because either A) they don’t pertain to them or B) they are guilty of taking part. I want people to notice things they never have before and appreciate their senses. Sight, smell, touch, taste, hearing, and the ultimate of all senses – the human conscious. I encourage people to acknowledge them all. You’d be surprised to see how much effect your caring about an issue can help change it. You’d be amazed at how beautiful the skyline can look when you are focused on it and the moment; nothing else. As humans we are blessed and cursed with a conscious…quit ignoring it and cultivate it.


My audience…

Anyone who will listen. If you’re willing to take the time to read this, whether you agree and understand or not, I thank you. I believe an open mind is one of the best things you can have in this life. I appreciate any acknowledgement of this works existence.


Myself…

Many artists put on a different face intentionally when creating art. However, I do not intentionally alter myself. A change occurs within me when I’m creating art, a change I can’t control. Every aspect of my personality grows stronger when I become involved with an artwork. It’s bigger than me and anything I know. The art embodies my conscious that I acknowledge during the process of creation. However, I must admit, once completed, I like every human return to life’s everyday routine and get in it sometimes. However, it only takes starting another project to reunite myself with my mind.


My inspiration…

I cannot source it to one thing. My experiences, my struggles, my senses, and myself. Many teachers and people I have met. People I have not met…Observing them is quite fun. The world and our culture. I read current events quite often, usually there’s one or two everyday that my mind holds on to. I enjoy never knowing what I might see, hear, feel, etc. that’s going to effect me, but nonetheless, I’m always open to letting something take hold.

I’m still learning a lot about myself; who I am as an artist, what I want to focus on, what medium I should be using, who I should be trying to speak to. But I’ve grown to accept that this is part of being an artist and it very may well be always in flux. I enjoy change and will never reject it.

I have put this together in hopes somebody and anybody will read this. I hope it leaves you thinking. I don’t necessarily want you to agree or disagree; I just want to be acknowledged.

Thanks.

No comments: